Looking for a festive lunch or side dish? Check out this gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan recipe for quinoa and corn pilaf with pine nuts from Veg Kitchen . We here at the Tasteful Pantry love quinoa – it’s an ancient grain that is packed with protein, is low in carbohydrates, and really absorbs the flavor of whatever sauce you prepare it with. Enjoy!
INGREDIENTS (Serves 8 or more):
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa (any color, but this looks festive with red or black quinoa), rinsed in a ﬁne sieve
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or cilantro, or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin, or more, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Bring 3 cups water to a rapid simmer in a medium saucepan. Stir in the quinoa and bouillon cube, cover, and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Toast the pine nuts lightly on a wide, dry skillet. Take care not to burn. Remove and set aside until needed.
Heat the oil in the same skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden. Stir in the corn kernels and continue to sauté until the onion begins to brown lightly.
Stir the cooked quinoa into the corn mixture along with the scallions, parsley, and cumin.
Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the pine nuts.
If a little more moisture is needed, stir in a small amount of water, and transfer to a serving container. Cover until needed or serve at once.