Let’s face it – most of us are rushing around in the morning, trying to get out the door as quickly as possible. Putting on our mascara as we brush our teeth and shave our legs (or your face if you’re a guy) all at once. So who has time for breakfast, right? Wrong!
Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, as you have probably heard from your mother a million times. But it’s actually true! Breakfast is named this for a reason – you are “breaking the fast” your body just went through overnight. During a sleep period, your body is healing itself of any ailments and injuries, and is doing plenty of work while you’re dreaming of unicorns and rainbows. Once your eyes open, your body is actually screaming for minerals and nutrients, along with some hydration. So just a piece of toast won’t cut it.
Life often tends to get in the way of eating a healthy nutritious breakfast, however, we cannot stress enough how important breakfast is to your body! It gets your metabolism going, along with providing you with essential nutrients to last you until lunch. I’m sure we’ve all skipped breakfast at some point, which led to hunger pains around 11:00 am, which further led to a bad decision at lunch, am I right? When you’re fuller for a longer period of time, your body won’t begin to crave fats and carbs leading up to lunch. That’s why we’ve put together this list of high protein, low carb breakfast ideas – to keep you healthy and full so you don’t crave unhealthy foods during the day.
1. Beefy Frittata (GF, DF). Loaded with vegetables, you’re not only getting protein with this recipe, but you’re also getting important vitamins and minerals, along with fiber! And if you’re not feeling the beef, you can simply omit!
2. Tiramisu Protein Parfait (GF, DF, Vegan). This meal takes some prep time, but it’s definitely worth it! Just prepare it at night, and go to sleep knowing you have a dessert waiting for you in the morning, packed with 20g of protein. The original recipe calls for Greek yogurt, but replace with soy/almond yogurt for a DF/vegan version.
3. Southwestern Tofu Scramble (GF, DF, Vegan). This dish is perfect for vegans and vegetarians alike. Mixing cumin, coriander and cilantro, it brings a surprising depth to the dish. You’re also getting double the protein from the tofu and the black beans. Yum!
4. Chocolate Peppermint Protein Shake (Paleo). You could add protein powder to just about any smoothie, but why not just have this one all of the time? Chocolate and peppermint is one of the best combinations known to man, right? You could also add a tablespoon of almond butter to make it extra creamy, with extra protein!
5. Morning Mug Souffle (GF, Vegetarian, Paleo). If you like your breakfast to be on the lighter side, this recipe is perfect for you! It fits in your mug, and is done in 5 minutes. Voila!
6. Bacon Baked Eggs (GF, Paleo). Classic bacon and eggs with a unique spin! Both the eggs and bacon have protein, and you can spice it up any way you’d like. Eat it with a side of avocado, and you’re all set for the day.
7. PB & J Overnight Oats (GF, Vegan). Mmm, peanut butter & jelly for breakfast in a healthy version! Delicious, nutritious and filling – and if you use chia jam you’re also getting tons of fiber, omega 3’s and calcium. Use gluten-free oats to make this dish gluten-free.
8. Spinach & Egg Breakfast Wrap (Vegetarian). Wraps are a great on-the-go breakfast when you are in a rush. Cook up the eggs and spinach, throw it in a wrap with avocado, and in no time you have your portable protein!
9. High Protein Waffles (GF, DF, Vegan). Who doesn’t love waffles, right? These gluten free, vegan, high protein waffles are sure to jazz up your weekend brunch. We recommend topping with some fresh fruit or almond butter.
10. Breakfast Grain Salad (DF, Vegan). Although quinoa isn’t usually on your breakfast menu, we assure you that this dish is something to try! Using three grains, blueberries and spices, it’s filling and easy to transport. Make a big batch, and it will keep in your refrigerator for about a week.
Which breakfast option are you drooling over? Leave a comment below to let us know your favorite!