So many of us are stretched thin between work, kids, sig-o’s, friends and trying to stay healthy, it’s not a surprise that snacking on the go is an increasing trend for people everywhere. The good news is there are plenty of options for quick easy snacks that are both delicious and nutritious, and that won’t break the calorie bank. So the next time 3pm rolls around and you’re at your desk or running the carpool, don’t just reach for whatever is being sold nearby – plan ahead and keep a stock of these super easy snacks handy to keep yourself satisfied and energized for the rest of your day!
1. Beef jerky. Red meat, chicken, turkey, pork and fish are all good sources of iron. Low iron intake can lead to serious problems like iron-deficiency anemia, the most common nutrient deficiency for women and children, so energize yourself with an easy quick snack like beef or chicken jerky and stay satisfied longer with the protein that comes along with it. We discovered a beef jerky that is organic and delicious from Golden Valley Natural.
2. Oranges. You can’t get much easier than grabbing an orange on your way out the door! Not only are oranges a great source of immune-and-energy-boosting Vitamin C, they’re also high in folic acid, which is important for women of childbearing age to reduce the risk of birth defects.
3. Almonds. These nuts have a ton of health benefits, from lowering cholesterol to antioxidant action (vitamin E) to high levels of magnesium and potassium. Add a little flavoring to them like with these Cacao-Dusted Almonds, and you’ve got yourself a delicious, satisfying, brain-boosting snack. Just be sure to watch your portion size since the calories can add up due to the (healthy) fat content.
4. Crackers and cheese. Your brain needs some carbohydrates to stay active, and the protein in the cheese helps you stay full and energized for longer. Just be sure to choose a whole grain cracker or one made with superfood ingredients like these organic flax crackers!
5. Greek yogurt. For healthy bones and teeth, and to help stave off osteoporosis, women need to eat a variety of calcium-rich foods every day. Greek yogurt is a great source of calcium, protein, and live & active cultures that keep your gut healthy. Just watch out for flavors that may be sweetened – they may also be high in sugar.
6. Seaweed. Ok, this may sound a little strange, but seaweed is actually an amazing superfood, loaded with vitamins A, B, C, E, and K, and rich in many minerals including iodine, selenium, iron and calcium. If you’re not a fan of the roasted seaweed snacks common in many grocery stores, you could also try taking a seaweed supplement for the same health benefits.
7. Energy bars. This may seem like an obvious one, but one we couldn’t leave it off the list – what’s easier than grabbing an energy bar for breakfast or on your way out the door? But WAIT – make sure you know what’s in your bar! Many bars out there are highly processed and loaded with sugar, so be sure to read the ingredients and nutrition label when you’re shopping. Look for bars where you can see the actual ingredients in them (like KIND bars), and that contain ingredients like the ones on this list!
8. Dark chocolate. We couldn’t make a list of snacks for women and leave chocolate off the list! Dark chocolate is actually a superfood, as long as it hasn’t been altered with a ton of sugar and artificial ingredients. Plus it contains zinc which helps in brain function!
All in all, a balanced diet, plenty of sleep and regular exercise will help you get through and enjoy your busy days! Don’t forget to take some time for yourself each day too, even if it’s brief. Just 5 minutes of meditation, deep breathing, or sitting quietly outside can make a world of difference. Taste, smell, and enjoy your food and those you share it with – every morsel you put in your mouth is a gift to your taste buds and your body!