With tons of fad diets and weight loss pills being pushed to the public, it’s sometimes hard to know the right direction to go. They all promise to help us lose weight and boost our metabolism, however, they come with a dangerous side. Weight loss pills can contain harmful, un-natural ingredients that increase heart rate, high blood pressure and can even cause seizures. In our opinion, this isn’t the way to go.
But sometimes, exercise just isn’t enough. You may go to the gym and do cardio for 2 hours and not see any results. You may change your diet and make healthier choices, but your waist line might not budge. You just need that extra oomph to boost your metabolism, and we’re here to help you do it the healthy way.
Here are 9 healthy secrets to speeding up your metabolism:
1) Green Coffee: Derived from raw and unroasted coffee berries, green coffee extract is known to speed up metabolism and melt fat. It contains high levels of chlorogenic acid, which are known to lower blood pressure, lower post-meal blood sugar levels, and curb carbohydrate absorption. It comes in the form of a pill, as well as a liquid extract.
2) Coconut Oil: Don’t be fooled by its fat content! Healthy fats don’t make you fat, in fact, they help you lose weight. Because of its high lauric acid content and medium chain triglycerides, when coconut oil is ingested it speeds right to the liver and is burned quickly as energy and is not stored as fat, therefore increasing metabolism.
3) Drinking warm water with lemon: This is the first thing you should do every morning when you wake up. As an ancient Ayurvedic practice, drinking warm water with lemon first thing in the morning helps to flush toxins and get jump start your metabolism.
4) Cinnamon: Sprinkling cinnamon onto your food will help regulate blood sugar levels after meals, which in turn will help curb weight gain. It also helps you to feel fuller longer, and tastes pretty great!
5) Green Tea: Brew a cup of green tea each day, and your body will begin burning about 100 more calories each day. It’s packed with antioxidants that are great for your body long term, and short term.
6) Muscle Building: Muscle not only weighs less than fat, but it burns more calories than fat! Even when resting, muscle tissue will burn around 50 more calories than fat. So don’t focus solely on cardio, and build up some muscle!
7) Water: Being that the human body is made up of about 65% water, we know it’s vital for our everyday function, and that doesn’t quit when it comes to metabolism. Those who drink at least 64oz of water each day are known to have a higher metabolic rate than those who drink less than that. We know that water can get boring sometimes, so jazz it up with berries, mint or citrus!
8) Sleep: Not getting enough sleep can cause weird cravings, hormone imbalance, and weight gain. We know it may sound cliche, but you should be getting about 8 hours of sleep every night. Not only will it keep your metabolism in check, but you will awake feeling fresh as a daisy!
9) Laughter: Last but not least, our favorite way to speed up our metabolism. Studies have shown that just 10 minutes of laughter each day can help to burn energy. Have you had your daily dose of laughter today?
What is your favorite healthy way to speed up your metabolism?